Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"No-Chip" Manicure Revolution


OK, so I'm not the average consumer complaining that my manicure doesn't last any longer than five days (if I'm lucky)...I'm a licensed nail technician, therefore I'm real lucky if I can get my polish to look decent for ONE DAY!

Constantly having my hands and nails succumb to the hazards of my profession ie: acetone, gels, acrylics, water, etc...it's no wonder why I don't polish my nails AT ALL. So if there was a miracle polish that never chipped, it would be an answer to my prayers...OK, I really didn't pray for a miracle, no-chip polish but you get my point.

Then a co-worker of mine introduced me to the 'no-chip" manicure, she had recently received one and was raving about it. Next thing I know, my boss has a class scheduled for all nail techs to learn this new concept. I was ecstatic! I love learning new techniques and we all need to learn to grow, right?

Here it goes: OPI has a new "soak-off gel lacquer" in, currently, 26 of their hottest and most popular shades...Lincoln Park After Dark, Russian Navy (my personal fav) I'm Not Really A Waitress, Bubble Bath, Pompeii Purple and so on... So when you apply polish there's a base coat, two coats of color, followed by your top coat - same concept here except each layer is cured by an ultraviolet light, which forms a lasting bond with the nail that won’t chip. Plus, “they can actually help some women grow their nails, by providing a protective cover,” says Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, cofounder of O.P.I....I love Suzi :-)

It's been a week since my "no-chip" manicure (guess what color I chose first) and besides outgrowth at the cuticle, it looks just as fresh as if I just walked out of the salon. Now you're wondering about removal, right? Well, that's a simple and painless process too: just a light filing of the top layer, then a soak in acetone for 15 minutes and voilĂ , you're ready to pick out a new shade!

One definition of revolution means a fundamental change in the way of thinking about or visualizing something...it's time we "revolutionize" our way of thinking, of what a traditional manicure should be...toss out the notion that it can only last a few days, there's a new Mayor in town and her term is indefinite...

...Welcome to no-chip happiness, Ladies!

1 comment: